Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ty's Under Saddle

So this week has been a little light. On Friday night we put a saddle on Ty for the first time and played around a bit on getting up on the mounting block above him and tapping on the saddle to get him used to the noise.

Yesterday we worked on getting used to clippers, he's good with them anywhere except his ears, so we can work with that.

Today my hubby was around to help, so I decided to go ahead and see if he was up for being backed. I put the saddle on him and dropped the stirrups so he got used to something on his sides and lunged him for a few minutes as usual without any incident. So once I was done lunging him I decided to go ahead and work on getting up on him. I stood in the stirrup and put some good weight into it, no reaction. Then I went ahead and thew a leg over his back and I was officially on Ty. He didn't do anything. I hopped off and we walked him around for a little but and I got back up on him, again no reaction.

I'm very proud of Ty. He's taken everything we've thrown at him and he just takes it all in stide. This week I'm going to work on lunging him some more and probably work on trying to get him on a trailer again. That may be our biggest challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment