Saturday, April 25, 2009

I Did Buy a Crazy Arab, Right?

I was back at the barn this afternoon to work with Ty. In the pasture he has good and bad days when I go to catch him. Last night he was determined to not let me catch him and we spent about 20 minutes with him running around the pasture. This evening he thought about running once and then promptly walked up to me, realizing the simplest path.

I took him inside and decided to introduce him to a saddle pad. He stepped sideways about twice and then stood perfectly still while I rubbed and flopped it all over him. Ty continues to impress me as he has taken every new thing in stride and seems very unflappable. Ty has also never been taught to lift his feet. We've been working on his front feet the last couple of days. Today I decided he was being good and I was going to push my luck and try to get him to hold up all four feet today. While he stood perfectly still in the middle of the ring he let me pick up all four feet, hold them for about a minute and tap on them. I worked on getting him to join up a little more and I only had to chase him for a second before he promptly followed me around the ring. We walked all over and changed directions often and he stayed right by my shoulder.

My friends were out today so once I felt he had gotten the join up idea I went to chat with my friends, Ty followed and stood with me for almost an hour while I chatted with my friends. He of course enjoyed the occasional treat and loved the pets and scratches my friends were willing to share. I had to take a close look at him today to make sure that I in fact did purchase an Arab who was only four years old and has had very little handling. Ty seems to not be fazed by much, he's curious but not afraid of much. I hope that it will continue as I continue to introduce him to new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment